How is The Wesley Hotel Ethical?
As the first ethical hotel in the UK and the only hotel in London to earn the Social Enterprise Mark Award, our hotel maintains an abiding commitment to sustainable operations and social responsibility. At The Wesley, “green” is not just a buzzword; it’s a way of life for us. Our innovative eco-friendly programs and initiatives are designed to protect our surroundings and minimise our carbon footprint. We believe that business ethics are moral judgments about what is right and what is wrong. Although these decisions are typically made on more personal levels, our entire hotel enterprise’s culture is influenced and guided by this way of thinking.
Our Commitment to Sustainable Operations?
- We handpick our suppliers that are accredited by Fair Trade.
- We are registered to the City of London Climate Pledge and the Camden Climate Change Alliance.
- Our bedrooms have reducers installed in the toilet flush, and we invested in water-efficient kitchen appliances.
- Our food is locally sourced from farms outside London, and we only use ingredients from sustainable suppliers.
- Our hotel maintains several waste segregation programs to ensure we are maximising waste reduction in all manner of operations.
- For the past five years, all food waste at our hotel has been fully recycled, resulting in a 100% reduction in landfill usage.
Are Coffee Cups Recycled?
Unfortunately, most coffee cups are not. Many coffee lovers who try to do the right thing and recycle their cups may be doing more harm than good. The plastic waterproof lining of many paper coffee cups means they can’t be recycled with paper and cardboard collections and will most likely contaminate a load, causing the whole lot to be sent to landfill.
Here is what you can do to tackle this environmental issue!
- Bring your own cup!
Avoiding disposable coffee cups is an easy way to reduce waste, reusable cups are widely available and a much more sustainable option, many cafés offer discounts for bringing your own cup.
2. Drink from cafes that use biodegradable cups.
(Such as vegware cups) – Biodegradable cups are lined with plant-based PLA, not plastic.
3.Get the message out there.
Sustainability matters so share this blog! Our hotel is dedicated to reducing waste; therefore, we only use compostable disposables.
Our Commitment to Social Responsibility?
- We educate our staff and clients to inspire sustainable and ethical business ethics.
- We are selective about our clients, and we decline to work with any companies involved in arms trades, tobacco, gambling, or companies with questionable ethics.
- Sustainable procurement isn’t merely about being “green.” It’s about being socially and ethically responsible. All hotel managers who handle purchasing for their departments are trained to evaluate a specific supplier’s suitability from an eco-friendly standpoint.
- We hold Gold level recognition by Investors in People.
- The Wesley was first awarded a Social Enterprise Mark in 2012. The Social Enterprise Mark recognises an organization that earmarks a portion of its profits towards beneficial social and environmental programs.
- We have a Green Tourism award! Green Tourism offers credible, trustworthy, and independent guidance to tourism businesses wishing to operate sustainably.
If sustainable living is something you’re passionate about, The Wesley is the perfect place for you, ethical living is a part of who we are and what we do.