TheWesley, previously the Methodist International Centre
- TheWesley was originally established in 1950 as Methodist International House and is rich in heritage. It is the legacy of Hilda Porter, a Methodist missionary, who opened student hostels offering safe and hospitable accommodation for international students in post war Britain.
- Over the years we have supported and housed more than 10,000 students.
- We relocated from Bayswater, West London, to Euston, Central London, in 1998, becoming the first social enterprise hotel in the UK and changing our name to Methodist International Centre (better known as MIC Hotel & Conference Centre).
- Rebranding to The Wesley in May 2013 to reflect our pride in our Christian & Methodist heritage together with a passion for providing modern ethical hotel accommodation.
- Offering accommodation with a choice of 100 premium bedrooms in Euston for both hotel guests and the educational market. Our brand is designed to offer a distinctively personal touch and socially aware ethos.
- Also a well established Central London conference, meetings and events venue.
- The ethical and sustainable London Hotel of choice. The business supports international and domestic students studying in London and overseas within a multi-cultural, muti-faith environment.
Our commitment to a clear Environmental Policy is seen in the setting of targets for energy efficiency, procurement, waste management and environmental education. TheWesley is registered to the City of London Climate Pledge. Our aim is to protect and enhance the environment whilst minimising the impact of our business activities.
Awards, Accolades and Accreditations
- An Investors in People Silver accredited company we employ 55 staff trained to provide the best service and hospitality
- AA 4 star guest accommodation
- Visit England and Quality in Tourism 4 star guest accommodation
- AIM accredited compliant Conference Venue (Meetings & Industry Association)
- Green Tourism Silver Award 2012 and 2013
- Approved restaurant and venue by The Vegetarian Society
- Winner of Hospitality and Customer Service Award in Camden and Islington Business Awards in two consecutive years, 2011 and 2012
- Winner of a highly commended award in SME category at the City of London Sustainability Awards in 2012, presented by Raymond Blanc
- Awarded the IFA’s Social Enterprise of the Year National Award in 2010.
- Shortlisted for a London Business Award in 2010.
TheWesley are committed to behaving ethically and responsibly throughout all our business activities and are acutely aware of our potential impact on our people, both internally and externally, the communities around us and the wider environment.
Our food waste recycling rate is rated “High” by the company Paper Round , who collect our Food Waste. In the last two years, we have achieved 15,689kg of CO2 savings.
We hold the prestigious Social Enterprise Mark, an independent accreditation measuring the amount that we commit to charity each year. It has to be over 50% of profits. That is as key reason why we can say we are the First Ethical Hotel, as no other hotel or conference venue holds this award.
We are Proud to be members of Camden Climate Change Alliance and honoured to have been awarded their Mark of Achievement. The Mark is awarded to organisations successful in cutting their carbon emissions and is awarded annually to organisations that demonstrate continued improvements over time.
In 2013 our Carbon Footprint in tonnes CO2 was 186.97 compared to 464.22 in 2011 that’s a 65% improvement. So considering that we are busier now than ever before in terms of overall customers, we are more energy efficient.
Since 1950 we have financed, subsidised and supported over 10,000 students from all over the world.
Our supply chain has been audited by The Mayor of London and awarded the Silver Award for Sustainable Procurement. This means that we work with a healthy mixture of small suppliers, local suppliers and sustainable suppliers. We consciously do not work with companies that turn up in huge lorries to deliver to us.
Since 2012 we have held ISO14001 the world’s foremost environmental management system (EMS).
We actively “put back” into charity projects around the world, including Jambo Sana in Kenya which we support with £60K per annum. This project provides educational facilities for young people aged 5-16 in a small village in the Rift Valley. www.rafikitrust.org.uk
Refurbishment of Atrium restaurant and bar area.
TheWesley is pleased to announce the refurbishment of its Atrium restaurant and bar area.
The extensive renovation includes the installation of a new mezzanine level, new interior design, and also the introduction of a new dining concept, “Grazers and Diners”. More information will be revealed soon. Work on the renovation is well underway and is set to be complete by the end of February.
The four star hotel’s restaurant renovation will target the demand from the local corporate market, as well as business and leisure visitors to the area, and not forgetting local residents. TheWesley’s Managing Director, John Nyota, comments on the project: "The complete refurbishment of the restaurant will delivers a new improved hospitality experience for all guests. Our new concept “Grazers and Diners” will have something to offer everyone, as long as they love quality food and drink. We only source sustainably and our food is all about freshness, taste, and good health. And being passionate about design, we will add in some local touches, where possible, and will incorporate vibrant colour schemes based on an elegant and stylish grey palate to refresh the spaces making them inviting and comfortable for all.
We are incredibly excited about this project and the timing could not be more ideal, with a host of corporate events taking place over the next few months to launch our new dining concept. This project will help elevate our quality offering to guests as well as helping us to meet the demand for casual fine dining in the centre of London"